8.6.09

First week in Asia!

Asia's sucky internet [surprised? so was I] made me not wish to update this all week, so here is the quick run down. The flight was a full 24 hours, with a 2 hour stop in Moscow. It wasn't terrible--the food was descent although I felt we ate a lot, and they had lots of good movies on the plane. I never even touched my computer or the books I brought. Russia was beautiful, at least what I saw flying over. Moscow had a lot of cement block looking apartment buildings, very communist looking. The airport was odd, only one runway and planes sitting around everywhere like it was a parking lot. The airport was descent though, we got to get off the plane and go through security again, be patted down, and go back on the plane. Strange. Anyways, back on the plane for another 10 hours. Flew over lots of places including Afghanistan and Pakistan. Got into Singapore at 5:30 in the morning and we actually were able to stay up until 9 pm. The hotel I got us at Changi Airport was beautiful. One of the nicest hotels I've stayed in probably and it was only $40 USD per person. It was odd because the wall to the bathroom was glass, but thank goodness there was a curtain. I was freaking out. We just walked around the city a little during the day. Marika and I found these necklaces we wanted and pretty much haggled her down to less than half price, it was sweet. Then we went back to the hotel and took what was probably the best shower of my life. Next day we moved to the group hotel and met up with everyone, didn't do anything too exciting. This hotel was a complete crap hole. It smelled terrible Like a bad asian food restaurant. The towels were shit, the toilet barely flushed, and the shower was pretty questionable. Then on the next day [as you can tell I had no idea what day any of this was happening] we did a duck tour and got to see a little more of the city. It was fun. So everything in Singapore is a mall. And when I say everything I mean everything. It's insane. So I've been to A LOT of malls in the past week. I've never been so tired of shopping. So that is pretty much it up until Malaysia/KL. I'll post that later as I'm lazy and don't want to write about it right now. In all so far Singapore is awesome. It's beautiful and has so much to do, I'm excited for the next few weeks.

However, Houston humidity level is looking pretty good right now compared to what it is here.

0 comments: